Saturday 19 April 2014

...Tips on taking MOOCs...

There are no strict rules when it comes to online, distance learning education. You can take a course literally anywhere, from your sofa to the bus. What is astonishing is that very many of these courses are completely free!

I started taking online courses in 2005. I found the whole process fascinating because MOOCs are very flexible - you read when you are ready and when you feel like it. Wanna study in the middle of the night? Nobody is going to stop you.

MOOC courses consist of articles, podcasts, videos, images... I frequently do the coursework when going out, listening to the podcasts on the go. But I love the videos too! And the virtual lectures! I find articles a bit boring, but I was never good at learning something from text.

If you are an experienced MOOCer then you can stop reading now. I am saying nothing new after all. 

But if you are new to MOOCs I introduce three major sources of free online education: UDACITY, COURSERA, FUTURLEARN. I have used these and I recommend them.

For other course providers click here

Now, you need to decide whether you want to do a course in order to learn something new without getting any qualifications, or in order to get some sort of qualification after the end of the course.

I usually go for courses that provide qualifications; courses that I can even mention on my CV. 



I do take courses that provide no qualifications, but only because I like the topic. I also mention them on my CV; after all, I have done the work! I am proud of completing them! 

But generally speaking, a course that provides some certifications is better than a course that provides nothing in the end. Also, check who is the course provider: reputable universities are the best providers out there!

Do you want to know - at a glance - if your selected courses / topics provide qualifications? Do you want to know what courses are offered and when?

Then visit this website. Even though I would recommend you to double check the information.

Don't go mad and start taking many courses at the same time. If you study them properly, they are time consuming and ...even hard work!

Generally speaking, I advise you to take one course at a time. Complete one course, then start another. You will be more motivated if you do so.

Also, take courses that interest you. There is no point taking courses that you won't enjoy, otherwise you risk abandoning the course from week one (dropouts are very common in MOOCs).

Before you take any courses check your availability. Can you afford the time to do this course? MOOCs come with instructions. For instance, the tutors recommend you to study for a specific number of hours a week. 

In many courses there is a quiz at the end of every week. You can take this in order to test your progress. Courses that provide qualifications may be accompanied by more 'academic-style' exams. Do you want to take these exams or not? You don't want to take an exam if you hate exams! Does the course charge you for taking an exam, or for a statement of accomplishment? And if yes, can you afford the cost? 

Most importantly, make the most of online forums! Discuss the course material. Comment on other people's comments! Participate in discussions! Meet up with your co-students! Be there. This is your online 'university' space, you are studying something after all.

I am not an academic but there is something telling me that MOOCs have great potential. With university fees sky-rocketed, MOOCs could be THE FUTURE in university education. 

So, are you taking any MOOCs? Tempted?



No comments:

Post a Comment