Tuesday 8 April 2014

...Atheism / Agnosticism...

What makes people atheists / agnostic?

Although I understand that the two words are not synonymous, I do consider myself as a bit of both. 

This is a short story of how everything started in my case. 

I was raised a Christian. I was even christened once. I came from a family with a very religious (obsessed with religion) mother, a religious father, and a village society where religion played a crucial part in people's lives. Think 'extreme Catholics'. Extreme religion, where everything is done by the Bible. This is how my life was until I reached 20 years old. 

I started questioning the existence of god when I was in my mid twenties. I had completed a first degree, and postgraduate studies would follow next. 

In fact, I am happy to accept that the more I studied the more I ignored religion. The more I discovered myself, the more I ignored god.

The real U-turn happened when I reached by 30th birthday. 

I thought to myself... 

Just a minute. Where is god if so many people die everyday in this world... 
Where is god when innocent people are killed because of famine, illness, warfare?

Where is god when GLBT people are not considered 'legaly' religious by most churches out there?

Where is god for the childfree, when procreation is a must in most religions out there?

I am certainly very rational. I do not believe in the romanisation of  science. Science is science, don't get me started how the universe was created. (I am not a scientologist - no thanks, I am simply rational).

I do believe in the power of religion, but solely as an historical phenomenon. Not as a brainwashing and propagandistic medium of mind control, which was good enough for the Medieval times but not for the 21st century. And yes, I do respect religion - the religion of others. If you are religious, I will honour you for your beliefs, no matter what these are. It is your right to believe in what you like, and it is my right to believe in nothing if I want to. 

As for my soul, if you are concerned, it belongs to the dark side... which is all booked up by the childfree and the GLBT. Oh - and the lawyers and politicians too :-)











No comments:

Post a Comment