Monday 31 March 2014

...Pansies (post 1)...

Last year I harvested the seeds of my pansies, and now I am determined to try and propagate them. 

Of course if my experiment is successful, my pansies won't flower before Autumn this year, if that. Most likely, they will bloom in Spring 2015. Never mind. I do have many beautiful pansies to keep me going until then. 

So, what I have done is fill my homemade 'trays' with compost, add the seeds, lightly cover them with compost, water the compost and seeds, cover the 'trays' with a dark plastic bag so that humidity is maintained, and place them in a cold, very dark place (under the stairs). Now... let's see if this works. 

I am going to check them in 7 days time, and give you an update next Monday. In theory, they take 7-14 days to germinate. 

'Cross' your fingers for them!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip: pansies most likely don't grow from cuttings (tested by myself without any success so far).

If you have grown pansies from cuttings, please contact me, tell me how this is done and I will deify you! :-)

Pansies do grow from division though. OK, I may give division a try at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment