Saturday 29 March 2014

...Mother's day and the childfree...


With mother's day fast approaching, there are several women out there who do not celebrate this day. 

  • How do infertile women feel on the day?
  • How do happily childfree women celebrate? 

I am not entirely sure about the answer to the first question; all I know is that if a woman is infertile and wants to have children but she can't, she may be emotionally unstable on the day. 

If I wanted to have children (hypothetically speaking) but I couldn't have them, I would feel vulnerable and frustrated on the day. 

You see, even though I am childfree, I sympathise with many women who are parents or want to get into parenthood. Who am I to judge parents and future parents after all? They do whatever they want in life. I do whatever I want in life. Period!

So, do I celebrate the day? I do, and I don't. 

I do celebrate my mum of course (I love you mum!), but I do not celebrate as such as I am not a mum. Do I feel left out? 

Maybe. 

The childfree (men and women) have their own international day, but very few people know about this celebration (it is on the 1st of August). I celebrate this day together with like-minded friends. We even exchange cards and presents! 

But somehow I feel that in a child-focused world, it's all about the mother. It's all about motherhood and mother's day, whereas both days should be celebrated equally; something that is not happening at the moment. 

So, when mother's day comes this year, think of the women who cannot have children. Take a moment and think of them. 

Also, take another moment to think and respect the childfree and their decision not to procreate. After all... 

motherhood is an option, not a social obligation






No comments:

Post a Comment